Tomcat w/o JZOS

Issues and Questions related to running Apache Tomcat on z/OS
acho

Tomcat w/o JZOS

Post by acho »

I found while searching how to get tomcat running on z/OS that some mentioned doing it without JZOS but I never found the followup articles about how they did it. Has anyone built tomcat on USS & got it running without JZOS?

I ask because the team I'm working with has scripts that start & stop tomcat from the command line with simple catalina.bat start & stop. I was able to do a submit of the tomcat.jcl which I placed on USS "submit tomcat.jcl" but how do I stop tomcat? I created a similar jcl, tomcat-stop.jcl calling org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina with stopServer args but the job just sat in the queue and never ran. I looked at the process "ps -e" and saw that JVMLDM50 was running. Am I suppose to stop tomcat by killing the process?

This also led me to another question about running mulitple tomcats on the same box but under different users. I installed another tomcat under a different user & submited the tomcat.jcl job but the job just sat there in the queue. I checked the list of processes but no JVMLDM50 was running. How can you get mulitple tomcats running?

Thanks for any help!
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

I can't help you with why the job never ran.

If you start Tomcat under JZOS, you can use the MVS STOP console command to shut it down cleanly. Otherwise you will have to either kill it or use the tomcat org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina class as you described.