Trouble in starting Tomcat 6.0.16

Issues and Questions related to running Apache Tomcat on z/OS
Michele Modolo

Trouble in starting Tomcat 6.0.16

Post by Michele Modolo »

Hi Steve, hi all

after having installed and run a number of Tomcat 5.0.28 and 5.5.25 Z/OS instances, I'm now facing troubles in installing version 6.0.16 (the most recent one).
This is the common problem "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina". In my case please note that files are not corrupted and there's no authorization problem.
I noticed that location for Catalina.jar (classes called at bootstrap) archive is changed from 5.x.x to 6.0.16
Location within 5.x.x is apache-tomcat-5.5.25/server/lib
Location within 6.x.x is apache-tomcat-6.0.16/lib

If I change TOMCAT_HOME from .../apache-tomcat-6.0.16/ to .../apache-tomcat-5.5.25/ then bootstrap classes are able to find Catalina.jar classes
so that I could guess trouble might reside on the way (6.0.16) boostrap classes locate (6.0.16) Catalina.jar classes
However I'm doubtful because there shouldn't be any statically coded location within either bootstrap or whatever else classes!
I'm about to plan trials in LIBPATH/CLASSPATH/etc... settings even though I suspect the gist is not there.

Should anyone have any idea I would be really grateful,
Michele Modolo
-----
PS: I'm reasonably sure the Batch Launcher doesn't play any role in this trouble, does it?
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

You might want to take a peek at the shell scripts shipped with Tomcat to start/stop to see if there are any additional jars in the bootstrap class path - different from those in the Tomcat 5.5 startup scripts.
Michele Modolo

Post by Michele Modolo »

Hi all,

I linked in the CLASSPATH all the .jar libraries within Tomcat picks classes from and the problem was solved.
Nonetheless there's still a problem: the same issue explained here
http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb ... 6&t=003469
In the above thread the cause was found in corrupted files so that a freshly new installation solved the problem. In my case I'm reasonably sure there is no corrupted file so I'm a bit surprised.
I read cscs010 succeeded in running Tomcat 6.0.18 in his ZOS1.9 so I'm also wondering, cscs010, whether you had faced such basic troubles.

Thank you for any hint,
Michele
Michele Modolo

Post by Michele Modolo »

Hi all,

I solved this issue, now I'm posting the solution in case someone were interested in.

Well, I installed a crude Tomcat 6.0.18: the server runs very fine and fast!
As soon as I try to clone an INSTANCE of Tomcat then I fall back to the problems I described in this thread.
However I think this could be easily overcome by properly migrating all my fifteen Tomcat 5.5.25 instances. In fact if you try to run 6.x.x as your TOMCAT_HOME while your TOMCAT_BASE is still at 5.x.x (with a very different architecture) it seems that Tomcat 6.x.x doesn't run whereas you must shape your TOMCAT_BASE directory in order for it to comply to the different 6.x.x architecture.

Regards
Michele
Michele Modolo

Post by Michele Modolo »

Yes...now thirteen instances are running smoothly.
Regards
Michele