windows program passing data or initiate program on z/os

General discussion of the Co:Z Toolkit
usaajrm

Post by usaajrm »

Can Co:Z toolkit help? We have a windows application with a limited interface. The application, on a windows server, can be configured to execute a windows program with some parms. We need the parm information on z/OS. Does the toolkit allow / support a windows program moving data to the host and / or start a z/os job with parms or post a message to the z/os console containing the parms?
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

I don't completely understand your requirements. Perhaps you can clarify.

You can use the Co:Z Launcher in a batch job to start a script on the Windows machine. The script can execute a command-line windows program, and can also pipe z/OS datasets in or out of the program, or copy them to or from windows files.

Without the Co:Z Launcher, you can also use the "fromdsn" or "todsn" commands from the Windows machine using the "-ssh" option which will read or write a z/OS dataset.

In Co:Z toolkit also includes a "wto" shell command for z/OS which can be used to write console messages. You can use the cozclient windows command to remotely execute the wto command; either in a script initiated by the launcher or initiated from Windows using the "-ssh" option.
usaajrm

Post by usaajrm »

Thanks for the reply. I hope this helps adds clarity. The windows server application will be executing a local program and passing parms. We want the local program to communicate the parms to the host in such a way we can run a batch job to process the parms. The coz client windows, you mentioned, sounds like it could meet the need. These actions will be initiated on the windows application server. Next year we should be able to create a web service on the host. We are currently waiting on infrastructure decisions and deployment. The originally interest in Co:Z toolkit was to simplify batch cycles across platforms. While we are still going forward, I was hoping Co:Z could help with our challenge of getting data to the host and triggering an event to start a job.