supported clients

Discussion of Co:Z sftp, a port of OpenSSH sftp for z/OS
themonk

supported clients

Post by themonk »

1. Apparently, the Co:z sFTP server component can handle files larger
than 2 GB. Can you confirm this.
2. I found that when I do a "get" (interactively) on an OpenSSH (sFTP)
client, with a file over 2 GB, I do not get statistical info, indicating
bytes sent, ETA etc. I do get the info, when I use a 100MB or 500 MB
file. I wonder if this is some OpenSSH limit(addressing), since I get the
same result when I do the "get" on windows(Wincyg-OpenSSH) or Sun
(OpenSSH). I use the OpenSSH sFTP not the Co:z. The does get
transferred correctly.
3. When I run the Co:z sFTP component, what sFTP clients are supported.
Alll major clients?
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

1) Yes, files larger than 2 GB are supported.

2) statistics are a feature of the client.
Are you downloading or uploading? When downloading, statistics only displayed if the server sends a status packet back that contains the estimated size. If you are downloading - If you do a "ls -l filename" of the file from the client, what do you see?

3) Co:Z SFTP is a port of OpenSSH 5.0p1 and supports any client/server that supports the SSH V2 file transfer (SFTP) standard.

See: http://tools.ietf.org/wg/secsh/draft-ie ... -filexfer/
themonk

Post by themonk »

Thanks. I wonder why Tectia has a limit of 2 GB and you do not.

So, if I understand you correctly, when I install the Co:Z component on the mainframe and a do NOT install the Co:Z on the remote site (we do not always control remote location - 3rd parties) the following is true.
I can use any SSH client/server that supports SSH V2 and I do not have a 2 GB limit. To set z/OS datasets specific parameters I use the ls-command.
Doe this mean that SSH V1 will is not supported ? (will not work)...might I come accross a site that never gets updated :-)
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

The Co:Z Toolkit for z/OS consists of several components:

- Co:Z SFTP - a (extended) port of OpenSSH sftp and sftp-server for z/OS
- Co:Z Dataset Pipes - shell commands for converting datasets to/from Unix pipes
- Co:Z Batch - a replacement for BPXBATCH
- Co:Z Launcher - Batch utility to launch remote processes on *nix or Windows.
- Co:Z FTP-SSH Proxy - a Java SOCKS-5 proxy that allows you to tunnel regular FTP over an SSH connection.

If you use the Co:Z SFTP *client*, then the remote server only needs to have SSHD and support SSH version 2 with the "sftp" subsystem. By far the most popular example is OpenSSH, which is standard on all *nix systems. This combination will support >4GB file sizes. SFTP does not support SSH-1.

Only if you use the Co:Z Launcher will you need to install the Co:Z Target systems toolkit on the remote system. This combination has nothing to do with SFTP, but does use SSH-2 as a transport layer.

For z/OS, the only pre-req is the IBM Ported Tools for z/OS (OpenSSH). Co:Z SFTP does not include ssh or sshd.

The Co:Z Toolkit is absolutely free to use, and we provide support on this free forum as time permits. Annual commercial support agreements are also available starting at $4995.

Feel free to call me to discuss if you have any questions: 636.300.0901

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies