Upgrading from JZOS 1.2.5 to 2.3.0

General discussion on the JZOS batch launcher and toolkit
RedSox

Post by RedSox »

I am trying to upgrade from a older version 1.2.5 of JZOS to a newer version 2.3.0 of JZOS. I've noticed in the proc EXJZOSVM it is now PGM=JVMLDM&VERSION instead of PGM=JZOSVM&VERSION. I don't know how many copies of EXJZOSVM exist in our enviroment. Do you have any suggestions on how we can keep using PGM=JZOSVM&VERSION but still upgrade to version 2.3.0?
Thanks, Bob
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

FYI: The JZOSVMxx names are from the pre-SDK alphaworks version, the JVMLDMxx names are from the SDK releases of JZOS.

Are you asking if you can rename (or even better, make alias names for) the new module names? I don't see why not.
RedSox

Post by RedSox »

Thanks for the tip on the alias. I don't think that will be necessary now as I've learned they are referencing EXJZOSVM in one library. However, my latest issue is that the Application Developers copied the jzos jar file to other locations and that the name has changed to ibmjzos.jar from jzos.jar. This complicates my migration slightly.
RedSox

Post by RedSox »

I had considered trying to utilize the IBM JZOS code which our Java refresh is 2.0.0 but running into issues which I will address with IBM. However, we are running the AlphaWorks 1.2.5 and have 2.3.0 available. The difference in the parms is subtle but need to know if it is necessary to have in the JCL to run with 2.3.0 of JZOS. Our 1.2.5 JCL does not have this in the member. Please advise. What I thought was easy is turning out to be more difficult to migrate.

# Force the alphaWorks version of JZOS to run overriding the SDK
OPTS="-Djava.ext.dirs=${JZOS_HOME}:${JAVA_HOME}/lib/ext"
OPTS="$OPTS -Djzos.jdfsort.dir=${JZOS_HOME}"
OPTS="$OPTS -Djzos.script.path=${JZOS_HOME}/sample"
export JZOS_JVM_OPTIONS="$OPTS"

# Add the JZOS samples to the classpath
CLASSPATH="${JZOS_HOME}/jzos_sample.jar"
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Setting JZOS_JVM_OPTS is required when you want to use a *different* version of JZOS than is shipped internal to the IBM Java SDK.

The best option IMO is to get the latest SR refresh for your Java SDK, which should already include JZOS 2.3.0. This should simplify things and will get you official IBM support for JZOS.