How to use Console Communication

General discussion of the Co:Z Toolkit
mghayman

How to use Console Communication

Post by mghayman »

I’ve just installed Version 1.4.1 of the Co:Z Co-Processing Toolkit for z/OS and am trying to get Console Communication working. I’ve already successfully executed examples 6.1 and 6.2 so the configuration seems to be OK. I added “agent-options=-c” to COZCFGD and ran example 6.1 again. It ran the “uname” command successfully and the Job is now just sitting there – I presume it's now waiting for a command. How do I actually issue the command from the MVS console? There’s no reply ID outstanding.

TIA - Mark Hayman
coz

Post by coz »

To communicate with the agent, issue a MODIFY command of the form:

F JOBNAME,APPL=COMMAND

A STOP command: P JOBNAME will terminate the agent

The launcher uses the __console2() C library function to retrieve the command buffer. Unfortunately, this api folds the text to uppercase, so it is of limited use for conveying most unix commands. We are looking at some options to work around this limitation in a future release.
mghayman

Post by mghayman »

Thanks Steve - the MODIFY command works OK. Thanks also for the tip about the upper case conversion. I would've found that quite confusing if I didn't know. It might be worth putting both tips in the documentation as I may not be the only one whose going to encounter confusion on this.
Regards Mark
coz

Post by coz »

Mark,

We've enhanced the Co:Z Launcher console interaction in the latest release (1.5.0) now available for download. All console strings are now automatically folded to lower case, with an escape provision for upper case characters. The documentation has also been updated to provide better detail on usage.

Thanks for your interest in this,
--Steve