Installation and Unix System Services

General discussion on the JZOS batch launcher and toolkit
johnjones

Installation and Unix System Services

Post by johnjones »

Please excuse the rather obvious question, but I assume that Unix System Services must be up and running both to install this product and to compile Java programs. Is this correct? I see the PAX command being used at install and it appears that the Java class file creations are being done under USS.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to setup Unix System Serices on z/OS. I am not a system's programmer, but I am familiar with some of the system setup procedures.

This product looks great and I would like to use it in a started task environment.

Thanks for any info, it is greatly appreciated.

John
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Unix Systems Services has, for some time, been an integral part of OS/390 and z/OS. If you have z/OS, or a JZOS-supported version of OS/390 (R10 and above), then you have USS.

That said, there are USS-specific system parameters that are required in order to effectively use USS. And of course, USS runs better if you follow IBM's tuning recommendations.

My suggestion is this: make sure that java is installed correctly on your system and that you can log into a USS shell (or the TSO OMVS shell) and run java with the IBM-supplied "HelloWorld" class. For example:

(under telnet shell or TSO/OMVS):
cd /usr/lpp/java/IBM/J1.3 (or wherever your JAVA_HOME is)
java -cp . HelloWorld
==> "Hello World"

This verifies that Java is installed correctly and that the essential pieces of USS are installed. Given that, you should be able to install and run JZOS.

Note: the most common problem that would lead you to think that USS is not "installed" would be that your userid doesn't have a valid "USS segment" or home directory. Your Systems Programmer should be able to to help you get this resolved.

Post by Guest »

Many thanks for the quick reply. I did not know that USS was integrated more tightly now into z/OS. When I try to access OMVS though, I get:

FSUM2149I No session was started. No pseudo-TTYs are available.+
FSUM2150I Function = stat(), ending name = '/dev/ptyp0000', return value -1,
errno = 129 (X'00000081'), reason code = 0594003D, description = 'EDC5129I No such file or directory.'

We are developing software on a small box. It's really z/OS 01.04.00 running on a Linux machine.

The System's programmer is my boss and sometimes myself. We are not z/OS novices however, and he comes from an IBM internals development background.

Thanks again,

John
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Yes, it looks like you need to get USS configured. These messages indicate that you don't have the pseudo-TTYs configured properly for USS.

The USS library page has links to the important manuals:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zs ... a1pub.html

The "Planning" manual has most of what you need to get USS configured. This page also has links to the older version manuals.

In the "Planning" manual, see the chapter / section on "Pseudoterminal files", which is 6.13 in the z/OS 1.5 version of the manual.