New program & random thoughts.

General discussion of the Co:Z Toolkit
john.mckown

New program & random thoughts.

Post by john.mckown »

I really hope you know how much I appreciate Co:Z and the fact that it is freely licensed. If it cost money, my company would not allow me to install it. And I find it to be almost a necessity any more for any UNIX work.

But I could use a new UNIX program. You have lsjes to list jobs on the JES SPOOL. And catsearch for doing a catalog lookup. And pdsdir to display the names of members in a pds. One thing which is missing which I could really use right now is "lsvtoc" to list the datasets on volumes. Perhaps like catsearch, with no switches it would simply list the DSNs. With the -l switch, it would list other attributes like the -l on catsearch. And, of course, the -t switch too to "tab delimit" the output for use in scripts to to pipe into "awk", "sed", or whatever.

The random thought(s) is that I prefer commands which "list" things to start with ls. That's why I suggested lsvtoc as the new command name. Along this line, I have put in shell aliases for catsearch (lscat) and pdsdir (lspds). Although not required, for somebody like myself, who is coming from a GNU/Linux background, this "standard" is helpful. Because the first thing I look for when I want to "list" something is a command which starts with "ls".

Thanks for listening,
John

--
John McKown
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: New program & random thoughts.

Post by dovetail »

John,

I agree re: "ls*" naming convention, but I'm not sure that it is worth changing now :-(

Re: lsvtoc - this seems like a good idea to us. We'll add it to our wish list.
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

John -

For a "lsvtoc" command - do you have thoughts on specific requirements / features?

How about something that uses "CVAFFILT" to filter/list VTOC entries in DSN order, with output like catsearch?
john.mckown

Post by john.mckown »

sounds good to me. The output from catsearch -l has what I basically need. If you want to be extra fancy, include SMS information such as DATACLASS, MANAGEMENTCLASS, and STORAGECLASS.