Co:Z SFTP GUI Client Compatibility for Retrieving Data Sets

Discussion of Co:Z sftp, a port of OpenSSH sftp for z/OS
rschramm

Co:Z SFTP GUI Client Compatibility for Retrieving Data Sets

Post by rschramm »

I thought I would open a thread on client compatibility with retrieving data set listings via the //dsnhlq or /-/dsnhlq.

cyberduck - connect, retrieves directory, displays it and will navigate pds. must set remote directory is preset to /-/dsnhlq -- current best support
Winscp - connect, retrieves directory, displays it. will not navigate pds. must set remote directory is preset to /-/dsnhlq
psftp - this works.. but isn't a gui client.
ultraedit - connect, retrieves directory and displays it ... but puts the dsorg as part of the file name
attachmate - connect, retrieves directory and displays it ... but puts the dsorg as part of the file name
coreftp - connect, retrieves directory and displays it ... but puts the dsorg as part of the file name
bluezone - connect, retrieves data but will not display it
filezilla - connect, retrieves directory (I see it in debug mode) information but will not display it.

more to come as I try the others
Rob Schramm
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: Co:Z SFTP GUI Client Compatibility for Retrieving Data S

Post by dovetail »

I would like to see more details...

We have many users who use Winscp. I'm not aware of the problem you describe, but Winscp has an issue in that it starts multiple sessions. So, if you navigate to the /+ and set a setting (via rename), these won't be inherited by the (new) transfer session. But I have personally used it to navigate to a //PDS and it worked for me

Also, Bluezone made some specific enhancements to support datasets with Co:Z SFTP.

In general, a client that follows the SFTP spec will work. Usually "//filname" is OK, but '/-/filename' is a legal Unix filename so it should always work.

Co:Z SFTP puts the z/OS formatted dataset listing in the "long filename listing" field, which is a pre-formatted listing of the file and its attributes. Other fields are filled out in the packet as per the spec. A client that parses the long listing field is defective IMO.
robschramm

Post by robschramm »

Latest update - added bitvise, updated WinSCP information, updated Bluezone

cyberduck
Free client
connect, retrieves directory, displays it and will navigate pds. must set remote directory is preset to /-/dsnhlq
bitvise
Free mostly
connect, retrieves directory, displays it and will navigate pds. must set remote directory is preset to /-/dsnhlq
Winscp
  • Free
    connect, retrieves directory, displays it and will navigate pds.
    Able to switch from unix files to data sets.
    Able to display /+ directory for options
psftp
this works.. but isn't a gui client.
ultraedit
connect, retrieves directory and displays it ... but puts the dsorg as part of the file name.
attachmate
connect, retrieves directory and displays it ... but puts the dsorg as part of the file name
coreftp
connect, retrieves directory and displays it ... but puts the dsorg as part of the file name
bluezone
Free Version - connect, retrieves data but will not display it
Paid Version - connect, retrieves directory, displays it and will navigate pds. must set remote directory is preset to /-/dsnhlq -- current best support
filezilla
connect, retrieves directory (I see it in debug mode) information but will not display it.
Filezilla depends (somewhat) on the code in PSFTP. They create their own version of the PSFTP module called FZPSFTP.
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

There is an appendix in the User's Guide that addresses many of the GUI client compat issues:

http://dovetail.com/docs/sftp/client-compat.html
robschramm

Post by robschramm »

I am curious about the everything past version 3 will work as well?
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

OpenSSH supports only version 3 of the SSH FileXfer spec.