multiple files downloaded to new generations of a GDG

Discussion of Co:Z sftp, a port of OpenSSH sftp for z/OS
aramsey

multiple files downloaded to new generations of a GDG

Post by aramsey »

We are running Co:Z SFTP 2.4.1. I have a user who wants to get multiple files and store them in generation datasets. The example I see in the 3.1.1 User's Guide states this became available in 2.4.0 and shows it as an interactive process where the generation dataset name is on the GET command. We are using COZBATCH, and the user would like to specify a DD card so that he can define a record length/format and amount of space he wants to allocate for the file. When he attempted to do this, he got - Multiple files match, but "//DD:MAXPRVI" is not a directory. Is it possible to do this?
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: multiple files downloaded to new generations of a GDG

Post by dovetail »

Unfortunately, when you point to your GDG with a DD, it can not be recognized as a request to write multiple generations.

You can do this:

Code: Select all

ls /+gdgnt
ls /+recfm=fb,lrecl=256,space=cyl.10.10  # for example
cd /some/remote/dir
get abc* //HLQ.GDG(+1)
aramsey

Post by aramsey »

Thank you very much for your quick response. This helps. An issue though - their JCL also includes a RLSE on the SPACE parameter, plus an AVGREC parameter. Neither of these seem to work -

cozsftp> lzopts mode=text,gdgnt,recfm=fb,lrecl=800,space=BLK.100.10.rlse,avgrec=u
gdgnt lrecl=800 mode=text
recfm=fb ?avgrec=u ?space=BLK.100.10.rlse

ZosSettings[E]: Keyword space value 'BLK.100.10.rlse' does not match pattern '^(blk\.|trk\.|cyl\.)?[[:digit:]]+(\.[[:digit:]]+)?$'.
RC=1
ZosSettings[E]: Unknown option: 'avgrec'

I get no errors if I leave off the rlse and avgrec, but not 100$ sure it gives the results the analyst wants. Definitely doesn't save storage that a RLSE would do for the allocation.

When using a DD card it looked like this:
MAXAPSI DD DSN=dsname(+1),DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),AVGREC=U,RECFM=FB,LRECL=800,SPACE=(800,(1000,10),RLSE)

Is there a way to still take advantage of these parameters that isn't obvious to me?
Thank you!
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Here are the dataset allocation options available:
http://dovetail.com/docs/sftp/options.h ... ns_bpxwdyn

you can use:

Code: Select all

lzopts mode=text,gdgnt,recfm=fb,lrecl=800,space=blk.100.10,release
there is not an option for avgrec=u, but I would assume that U would be the default.
Alternatively, you could calculate (or allocate one and look) the equivalent track or cylinder allocation and then use: trk.xx.yy.
aramsey

Post by aramsey »

Thank you so much for your help with this. The client has used your suggestions and is satisfied with the results.