CUNLCNV table not supported

Discussion of Co:Z sftp, a port of OpenSSH sftp for z/OS
dabills

CUNLCNV table not supported

Post by dabills »

We are running v4.0.0 of Co:Z Toolkit and just installed z/OS maintenance RSU1608 on our z/OS 2.1 system. One of our SFTP jobs is failing with the message below that used to work when we were running RSU1602 with technique=0:

TranslatorÝW¨: CUNLCNV table not supported. sourceCodePage="ISO8859-1"(819), targetCodePage="IBM-1047"(1047), technique=0
ZosDatasetÝE¨: TranslateException: Failed to load CUNLCNV table involving user technique; no iconv() fallback possible, RC=8, Reason=3

I'm suspicious there may of been a Unicode change with RSU1608, but wanted to check with you first to see if you can explain why it's not falling back to iconv() now like it used to.

Ultimately, the real issue is that we do not have an 819-1047-0 conversion table loaded in Unicode, but as far as I can tell we never have and we never got the above error message until now so I'm wondering what changed?

I also wanted to find our if there are any plans to deprecate "technique" for the use of "trtab" instead? It seems like they both do the same thing so just wondering why the need for both of them.
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: CUNLCNV table not supported

Post by dovetail »

You have specified that you want to use technique=0, which means that you have a user-supplied IBM z/OS Unicode Services table for (819,1047,0).
The z/OS Unicode Services return code description (below) says that this table is not currently available.
See the error description and action below to check. If the table is / should be loaded and you believe that IBM maintenance caused a problem, you would need to contact IBM.
(RC=8 Reason=3)
Name: CUN_RS_CCSID_NOT_SUPP All
Meaning: The specified conversion is not supported in the
current conversion image.
Action: Verify that the FROM-CCSID, TO-CCSID, and
technique-search-order parameters on the call to the
conversion services specify a conversion that has been
included in the currently active conversion image. The
DISPLAY UNI command can be used by the system operator
to display the available conversions. Have your system
administrator update the conversion image to include the
specified conversion or change the parameter specification as
appropriate.
Also:
"iconv() fallback" is not available since iconv doesn't support user-supplied Unicode services tables (0-9)

no, we won't deprecate the use of unicode services, since it isn't the same as trtab. We support three different IBM mechanisms:
- z/OS Unicode services (direct)
- z/OS Unix iconv() (which now uses Unicode services indirectly, but doesn't support user-supplied unicode services tables.)
- IBM FTP-compatible single byte tables (trtab=)