Servlet execution characteristics

Issues and Questions related to running Apache Tomcat on z/OS
jriemer

Post by jriemer »

Where might I find information on the execution characteristics of Java servlets under z/OS Tomcat? I'm presuming that they are by default non-reentrant. If I invoke the same servlet in multiple browser sessions, this would logically imply a separate copy/instance of the servlet code for each session; is this the case? I notice a number of BPXPTATT tasks in the Tomcat address space. Are servlets routed to, and ATTACHed by, these tasks? Thanks.
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

z/OS Tomcat is just Tomcat - servlets run under multiple threads concurrently, depending on how you have configured the container. See the Apache Tomcat documentation for more information.

z/OS Java threads run in their own z/OS Unix thread, which is a z/OS TCB
jriemer

Post by jriemer »

According to the Tomcat doc, multithreading is automatic. When I invoke my servlet simultaneously in two different browser windows, however, the second invocation does not begin processing until the first has completed, based on the output of diagnostic System.out.println's. I'm running Tomcat under JZOS. Would the apparent absence of multithreading be attributable to Tomcat, the JVM, the servlet itself (i.e. are certain declarations required), OMVS/UNIX threading/tasking; or some combination of the above? Thanks again.
jriemer

Re: Servlet execution characteristics

Post by jriemer »

Resolved.
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: Servlet execution characteristics

Post by dovetail »

What was the resolution?