CO:Z target system install for SLES 10

General discussion of the Co:Z Toolkit
tlongfellow

CO:Z target system install for SLES 10

Post by tlongfellow »

Up front I need to admit that I am not an experienced maintainer of Linux software, so expect my ignorance to be showing.

I have coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x.rpm downloaded to my linux machine (SLES 10, under z/VM 5.4). What I can not seem to find are some instructions to get this package installed.

The sad part of this is that one of my other linux images on this box has the target system tools installed. The knowledge on how this was done has been lost.

I am guessing that this is such a simple task that if I do not know how to do it then maybe I should not be doing it. However, it needs to get done and I am the only systems person around.

A cookbook would be wonderful and any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: CO:Z target system install for SLES 10

Post by dovetail »

If you have never installed an RPM package, then I would recommend that you review the SLES documentation and/or Google on information on maintaining/installing packages.

But if you want to just type something and see if it works:

yast -i coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x.rpm
coz

Post by coz »

It is quite simple to install the target system toolkit on SLES using the LSB RPM from our website. The documentation for doing this in in the Co:Z Launcher user's guide:

http://www.dovetail.com/docs/coz/instal ... stall_unix

To cut to the chase, once you have the RPM on your SLES system, just issue the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo rpm -i coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x.rpm
If you have any trouble or follow-up questions, please let us know.

--Steve
tlongfellow

Post by tlongfellow »

Thanks for the quick responses. I have already tried rpm at this point (logged in as root, not using sudo)
Here are the results from what I have tried.

linux1:~/Documents # yast -i coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x.rpm
linux1:~/Documents # sudo rpm -i coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x
        rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x
linux1:~/Documents #
The yast install brought up an 'initializing' window then died quietly. Similar results happen when I just try to 'Open' the rpm file under the gnome GUI shell.

rpm gave me exactly what is quoted above. I am still flailing around, mostly clueless. This stuff is always simple when it works, but a real pain when it does not.
coz

Post by coz »

This looks like a dependency issue with RPM itself. I'll have to do some research to figure out what's going on. If you can't wait, you can always build the package from the source distribution:

http://www.dovetail.com/downloads/coz/c ... 1.0.tar.gz

Instructions for doing this can be found here:

http://www.dovetail.com/docs/coz/install_unix_gnu.html

--Steve
tlongfellow

Post by tlongfellow »

Thanks Steve. I can wait to use the executables and not rebuild.
I have also been doing some research. Other rpm installs have had this exact issue, but I have found no clear solution posted. Just questions. Will look more after our DR test this weekend.
coz

Post by coz »

This looks to be a problem with the fact that the RPM was built on a later generation system (RHEL 6), where the rpmbuild uses hashes that are not backward compatible. So even though the code itself is compatible with any system that is LSB 3.0 compliant, it can't be installed properly on some. The net result is that the package installs fine on both RHEL 6 and SLES 11, but not earlier systems.

There appear to be a couple of ways to work around this; I'll get to this as soon as time permits.
coz

Post by coz »

I've rebuilt the s390x LSB to address the backward compatible install problem. You should now be able to install the package on your SLES 10 system.

Because this is a packaging fix that contains no code changes, we've kept the version the same (1.1.0) but have updated the build date.

Thanks for reporting this.
tlongfellow

Post by tlongfellow »

Thanks Steve. That did the trick. Now on to other problems using hybrid batch.
I will look up the following on this forum and see where I end up

CoZLauncher­N½: version: 2.2.1 2012-10-08                                                   
CoZLauncher­N½: Copyright (C) Dovetailed Technologies, LLC. 2006. All rights reserved.      
CoZLauncher­E½: spawnp(cozserver) - EDC5129I No such file or directory. (errno2=0x053B006C) 
coz

Post by coz »

You might want to check that your "server-path" property is set in COZCFGD to point to your cozserver executable:

http://www.dovetail.com/docs/coz/config ... r_required