How to package JZOS-based application

General discussion on the JZOS batch launcher and toolkit
EarlHodil

How to package JZOS-based application

Post by EarlHodil »

I have created a product using Java and JZOS. I am now at the point where I am ready to package it for shipment to potential customers. I'm looking for general guidance on how I should do the packaging. Right now I have a half-dozen or so jars, one for each batch utility. Is there any way to put them all in one jar and include all of the dependencies (including the JZOS classes)? My experience as an assembler product developer for the past 30 years can be summed up as follows: "The fewer moving parts on the install, the fewer support calls." :D
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: How to package JZOS-based application

Post by dovetail »

IBM's license for the Java SDK would not allow you to ship the ibmjzos.jar (the jar with the com.ibm.jzos classes in it).

But, JZOS is included in all of the supported IBM Java SDKs, so you don't need to ship it.

For a z/OS java application, you will have to specify that the customer has installed the Java SDK for z/OS (and what version(s), if you require a specific version). They will then have to tell you the home directory for the Java SDK as part of configuring your product (scripts, JCL, etc).

Its really not much different than shipping a Java product on any platform.