co:Z Toolkit install under SLES 11

General discussion of the Co:Z Toolkit
tlongfellow

co:Z Toolkit install under SLES 11

Post by tlongfellow »

It seems like I have a problem every year installing the co:Z toolkit on my target zLinux systems. I am currently buidling my golden copy as a cloning source for additional linux machines.
I do not know how or why this has happened but somehow the toolkit is both installed and not installed.

Code: Select all

jis-s113gold:~/Documents # rpm -i coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x.rpm
        package coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x is already installed
jis-s113gold:~/Documents # rpm -e coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x.rpm
error: package coz-toolkit-1.1.0-1.s390x.rpm is not installed
I am running SLES 11 SP3
I checked for package corruption during during the copy of the package from my SLES 10 system to my SLES 11 system.
They both have the same cksum information and the upgrade on SLES 10 went without error.

Any ideas on how to get out of this catch-22?
tlongfellow

Re: co:Z Toolkit install under SLES 11

Post by tlongfellow »

I know it is bad form to post a reply to your own posts, but I have continued to hack away at it.
I found that the rpm -e command works with the installed package name... and the rpm -i works with the package file. (Still learning Linux here)
I also discovered that I was not using the very latest package. Here are the results using what I just downloaded

Code: Select all

jis_s113gold:~/Documents # sudo rpm -qa | grep coz
jis_s113gold:~/Documents # sudo rpm -ivh coz-toolkit-1.1.2-1.s390x.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:coz-toolkit            ########################################### [100%]
jis_s113gold:~/Documents # fromdsn -?
If 'fromdsn' is not a typo you can run the following command to lookup the package that contains the binary:
    command-not-found fromdsn
-bash: fromdsn: command not found
jis_s113gold:~/Documents # sudo rpm -qa | grep coz
coz-toolkit-1.1.2-1
jis_s113gold:~/Documents #
First, we see that it is not there. Then it installs. but the command was not found.
I finally remembered that dovetail installs into a /opt directory. The /opt/dovetail/coz/bin directory is not in my PATH.
I am currently looking into the right way to create symbolic links in /usr/local/bin under linux
-
I guess I got spoiled by the ease of installing the base toolkit on z/OS. Installing the target system component is not as easy and requires some steps I could not find in the documentation.
coz

Re: co:Z Toolkit install under SLES 11

Post by coz »

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the installation. Under the LSB standard, our package is required to be located at /opt/dovetail. I'll make a note of the installation location in the documentation.

rpm -e takes a package_name as an argument (i.e. coz-toolkit). In your first post, you have supplied a package_file.