COZsFTP to resolve domain names??

Discussion of the COZBATCH utility for z/OS
fulldraw68

COZsFTP to resolve domain names??

Post by fulldraw68 »

We have a TCPIP.HOSTS.LOCAL file where we add DNS entries so that we can use the domain name rather than IP in our FTP processes. This works great for FTP as we just have to add the SYSTCPD DD statement to point to what file houses our DNS entries. How do I get COZsFTP to point to this file to resolve domain names to IP addresses? Is this possible.
Thanks.
fulldraw68

Re: COZsFTP to resolve domain names??

Post by fulldraw68 »

I have added the DNS entry to /etc/hosts file but still erroring so COZsFTP is not looking there either. Any ideas?
fulldraw68

Post by fulldraw68 »

Dovetail folks....any idea or direction you can point me in?
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Note: Please use the Co:Z SFTP forum for Co:Z SFTP questions.

Co:Z SFTP invokes an IBM "ssh" command to start a secure connection, and this command runs in a separate OMVS address space.
So, you can't use a DD to point to a special resolvor (TCPIP.DATA) configuration data set.
Do you really add a DD to all of your user FTP jobs rather than using a global default for the resolver? I would say that this is not typical.

In any case, your problem seems to be that you don't have the resolver configured by default to use /etc/hosts.
Do you have it configured to point to one or more nameservers?

Here's a good IBM redbook for configuring the resolver (for z/OS 2.1):
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg248096.pdf

The section "2.3 Implementing the resolver" has a complete example of setting up the resolver to use a nameserver (with caching) and a local file (IPNODES).