S99ERROR=0x021C during get for tape file

Discussion of Co:Z sftp, a port of OpenSSH sftp for z/OS
dabills

S99ERROR=0x021C during get for tape file

Post by dabills »

We are trying to get a multi-volume GDG tape file and getting the following error at dynamic allocation time:
ZosSettingsÝD¨: Options in effect (no file pattern selected)
ZosSettingsÝI¨: Transfer options: blksize=0,clientcp=ISO8859-1,dsorg=ps,gdgnt,lrecl=256,mode=text,mount,recfm=fb,release,servercp=IBM-1047,space=trk.5.5,storclas=nosms,trim,ucount=5,unit=cart
ZosDatasetÝI¨: Opening dataset TEST.DATA(0) for read with options: gdgnt mount release ucount(5) shr
DatasetHandlerÝT¨: -> open()
IKJ56241I DATA SET TEST.DATA NOT ALLOCATED+
IKJ56241I SPECIFIED UNIT IS UNDEFINED
DatasetHandlerÝE¨: BPXWDYN allocation failed S99ERROR=0x021C S99INFO=0x0000
DatasetHandlerÝE¨: BPXWDYN command was: "alloc fi(SYS00012) reuse msg(2) da('TEST.DATA(0)') gdgnt mount release ucount(5) shr"
DatasetHandlerÝT¨: <- open()
DatasetHandlerÝE¨: Dataset TEST.DATA(0) open error: EDC5000I No error occurred. (errno2=0xC4070044)

I am able to get a single volume GDG tape file but haven't been able to figure out how to get the multi-volume one.

Any way to fix this?
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: S99ERROR=0x021C during get for tape file

Post by dovetail »

I believe that the problem is that for existing datasets, many of the dynamic allocation parameters are ignored.
See the usage table here: https://dovetail.com/docs/sftp/options. ... ns_bpxwdyn

So as you can see, the blksize, dsorg, lrecl, recfm, space, storclas, and unit parameters were not used in the BPXWDYN allocation command.

This is sometimes a problem when reading existing tape data sets, since you really need some of those parameters.
I will add a tape support enhancement to our wish list, but I can't commit to a delivery date.
dabills

Re: S99ERROR=0x021C during get for tape file

Post by dabills »

Thanks for the confirmation, I didn't see the parameters getting passed either, especially the unit and storclass parms.

If you can add the tape support enhancement to a future release that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.