Tape support and limitations

Discussion of the COZBATCH utility for z/OS
carls

Tape support and limitations

Post by carls »

Hello,

We are using CozBatch 4.5.1 successfully with disk data sets. We upgrade to 5.5.1 in month or so.
We are at zOS 2.2.

We would like to also use Tape data sets.

I have scanned the forum for references to Tape to find if tape is supported and identify any
limitations.

In the posts, I see these references - are they all still true and have I missed anything ? :

1. must be cataloged
2. multi-volume tapes are not supported
3. must have mount authority - I presume this means TSOAUTH MOUNT
4. must specify mount keyword ( ie ls /+mount or add mount to lzopts and zopts )

Is there any maintenance you recommend we have ? CoZBatch or z/OS ?

Thank you, Carl
dovetail
Site Admin

Re: Tape support and limitations

Post by dovetail »

Here is a synopsis of our current tape support and limitations. We plan on enhancing this in a future release so that DCB can be specified when reading tape data sets without using a DD card.

- When reading an existing dataset (DASD or TAPE)
- using DD: reference (only on the Co:Z SFTP client with COZBATCH)
-> any DCB options on the DD card will be used and (for disk) will be merged with the data set label

- using DSN reference:
-> DCB options from the dataset label will be used.
-> for tape, the DCB is not on the tape label, so there may be an issue since a default DCB is used which may not be compatible with the actual DCB.

- When WRTING to a data set (DASD or TAPE) -

- using DD: reference (only on the Co:Z SFTP client with COZBATCH)
- The DCB options on the DD card will be used, and (for disk) will be merged with the dasta set label
- using DSN for new dataset. The DCB from the Co:Z options (lzopts or zopts) will be used
- using DSN for existing dataset.
-> DCB options from the dataset label will be used.
-> for tape, the DCB is not on the tape label, so there may be an issue since a default DCB is used which may not be compatible with the actual DCB.