JVMST062 Cannot Allocate Memory

General discussion on the JZOS batch launcher and toolkit
Nalini

JVMST062 Cannot Allocate Memory

Post by Nalini »

Hello List,

I am using the Derby Server (Cloud) on the mainframe. After bringing it up and down a few times, I am now getting the message:

JVMST062: Cannot allocate memory in initializeFRBits().

When I look up the message, it says the user response should be to allocate more virtual storage to the JVM region.

I am running the XJZOSVM with a REGION=0M.

Also did a D ASM and it looks like there is room left on the Page Data Sets -- there are 3 and about 25%, 49% & 39% full. So, it seems that there should be enough.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Nalini Elkins
Inside Products, Inc.
(831) 659-8360
www.inside-products.com
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Please rerun with LOGLVL='+D', a post the messages that you get in DD SYSOUT.

There should be a message that displays the actual storage requested / available. System exits can modify what you ask for in your JCL, so its not to be trusted :-)

Do you get any Java exceptions (OutOfMemoryException)?
Nalini

Post by Nalini »

This is what is in SYSOUT when I run with the +D option. Thanks for your help. - Nalini

07:48:10 JZOSVM14(N): log level has been set to: D
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(N): Copyright (C) 2004 Dovetailed Technologies LLC. All rights reserved.
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(N): JZOS Version 1.2.0
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): Region requested = 0K, Actual below/above limit = 9M / 513M
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(D): Output from DD:STDENV config shell script:
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(D): ___JZOS_ENV_START___
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): DERBY_HOME=/usr/lpp/its/shared/lib
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): SIMPLE_HOME=/usr/lpp/its/simple
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): JAVA_PROPAGATE=NO
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): PATH=/bin:.:/usr/lpp/java/J1.4/bin:
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): IBM_JAVA_ZOS_TDUMP=NO
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): JZOS_HOME=/usr/lpp/its/jzos
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): IBM_JAVA_OPTIONS=-Djzos.home=/usr/lpp/its/jzos -Dfile.encoding=ISO8859-1 -verbose:gc
-Xmx256m -Dderby.home=/usr/lpp/its -Dderby.system.home=/usr/lpp/its/common/endorsed
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): _=/bin/env
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): CLASSPATH=/usr/lpp/its/shared/lib/derby.jar:/usr/lpp/its/simple:/usr/lpp/its/
shared/lib/derbynet.jar:/usr/lpp/its/shared/lib/db2jcc.jar:/usr/lpp/its/shared/lib/db2jcc_license_c.jar:/usr/lpp/i
ts/jzos/jzos.jar:
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): LIBPATH=:/usr/lpp/java/J1.4/bin:/usr/lpp/java/J1.4/lib:/usr/lpp/java/J1.4/bin
/classic:/usr/lpp/its/jzos:
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/lpp/its
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): JAVA_DUMP_HEAP=false
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(I): JAVA_HOME=/usr/lpp/java/J1.4
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(D): ___JZOS_ENV_STOP___
07:48:10 JZOSVM14(D): argBuf=''
JVMST080: verbosegc is enabled
JVMST082: -verbose:gc output will be written to stderr
<GC: Reduced max java heap size to 162406400 bytes due to memory contraints>
**Out of memory, aborting**

*** panic: JVMST062: Cannot allocate memory in initializeFRBits()
CEE5207E The signal SIGABRT was received.
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

(I exchanged emails with Nalini offline).

The error messages from the JVM indicate that there is not enough storage available to initialize the JVM. The above log shows that the max e-private storage was 513MB, which should have been plenty. The assumption is that there is something wrong with virtual/aux storage management on this (test) machine. The customer is going to open a problem with IBM....
Nalini

Post by Nalini »

This poor problem has been around the block and back! We were delayed while the installation upgraded CPUs. Now we are back to this.

We have PMR'd IBM and have tried a number of things. One, it appears that the installation has an exit which limits memory if you code 0M. So, we have been coding it specifically.

Now, IBM is asking me to use the JAVA_DUMP_TDUMP_PATTERN environment variable to get more data. How is this used? I am not clear on this.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Nalini Elkins
Inside Products, Inc.
(831) 659-8360
www.inside-products.com
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

This environment variable is documented in the SDK 1.4 diagnostics guide. I'm not sure what I can add, except that I would strongly suggest that you ask the support center for specific settings of the JAVA_DUMP related environment variables so that they get exactly what they want.
Nalini

Post by Nalini »

Sorry to be back to this - I am just not getting it. Discussed with the support center & it seems that I am supposed to be coding an environment variable something like:

JD='SYS2.&SYSNAME..D&LYYMMDD..T&LHHMMSS..&JOBNAME..DMP&SEQ'
(The above is the pattern for the installation)
then I do an :

export JAVA_DUMP_TDUMP_PATTERN=$JD

which I thought would have the result I wanted, but in the SYSOUT, I see:

JZOSVM14(I) : JAVA_DUMP_TDUMP_PATTERN =SYS2.&SYSNAME..D&LYYMMDD..T&LHHMMSS..&JOBNAME..DMP&SEQ

But, no dump. I would have thought the environment variable was supposed to resolve the &things, but???

I also commented out the
export IBM_JAVA_ZOS_TDUMP=NO

What about the export JAVA_DUMP_HEAP=false?

Thanks for all your help.
Nalini
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

According to the SDK 1.4 diagnostics guide, the "JAVA_DUMP_OPTS" is what controls whether a dump is produced, and what information is included in the dump. You are getting some kind of JVM internal memory error, and I don't know how this relates to the options availabe in "JAVA_DUMP_OPTS".

Since the support center is asking for the dump for this internal JVM error, you will have to pry from their fingers the magic words to get the dump that they need :-)

I would suggest that you run the job with LOGLVL='+D' and copy all of the environment variables settings and send them to IBM to review.

Also - which version of JZOS are you using? The latest version is 1.2.3 from IBM's alphaworks site.
Nalini

Post by Nalini »

After much effort on everyone's part, it seems that the site has their OMVS "SHRLIBRGNSIZE" set to 1.5G, which doesn't leave enough room for the Java VM.

This was set for another application. Once that was fixed, then Java came up just fine as did everything else!

Kirk, thanks for all your help!

Nalini