WTO : Understanding the bit masks for ZUtil.wto method

General discussion on the JZOS batch launcher and toolkit
bilbozos

Post by bilbozos »

Hello all!

Let me ask you another question. I don't control much the MVS environment, and the possibility to write to the system console from Java is now new to me.

The examples bundled in the JZOS distribution, when invoking WTO, always specify 0x0020 as the "routeCode", and 0x4000 as the "descriptor". I have been reading through the sections "Operator Communication in MVS" and "Program to Operator/System Communication" in book "MVS Multisystem Consoles in a Sysplex", where I found something about the WTO macro, but I haven't been able to get anything definite about the relation between of values showed for both descriptor codes and Route codes, and the corresponding bit masks required by the WTO method of JZOS.

Could anybody help me work this out?

Thanks in advance.
coz

Post by coz »

This bitmask is a bit field that is interpreted from left to right, with the leftmost bit representing the value 1, the next bit representing the value 2, etc..

The values themselves are discussed in the "MVS Programming: Authorized Assembler Services Reference, Volume 4 (SETFRR-WTOR)" (SA22-7612).

So, for example, to set a routing code of "2 - Operator Information", you specify a bitmask of 0x4000 (binary 0100 0000 0000 0000). If you want "11 - Programmer Information", you would specify a bit mask of 0x0020 (binary 0000 0000 0010 0000).

This could be better documented in the wto call; we'll look at updating in a future release.
bilbozos

Post by bilbozos »

I got it !

Thanks Steve.