JZOS/Tomcat startup and shutdown messages

General discussion on the JZOS batch launcher and toolkit
dfowler4

JZOS/Tomcat startup and shutdown messages

Post by dfowler4 »

Hello,

We are beginning run JZOS 1.23 (as a started task) and Tomcat in a production environment. In order to automate the startup and shutdown of the JZOS/Tomcat started task, our operations group asked what messages were issued to indicate that the task was up and running and what messages it issued when it shutdown. They code our automation tool to respond to those messages. I saw no messages being sent to the log, only to the dd's sysout and stdout. Are there any settings that control other messages being sent to the mvs log (syslog).

Thanks in advance,
Dave
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

It doesn't write any messages to the system log, but you can configure it to do so:

Add a web application that has a startup servlet and in the init() method write a WTO of your choosing. Then, register a VM shutdown hook that writes a WTO when the JVM is shut down.
dfowler4

Post by dfowler4 »

Hello,

I have been able to issue an MVS WTO using ZUtil.wto but only from a java program run under Tomcat. Can you provide more guidance on how to create a servlet that runs on startup that would use Zutil.wto from it's init method?

Also, when JZOS starts it issues the following message to the system console: @JZOS - MVS START command received with parameters:
Our operators have said that the message does not go away and they need to remove it manually. Can that be stop?

Thanks for all your help,
Dave
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Re: Servlet autostart init method

- first, define the servlet in web.xml with "load-on-startup"

Code: Select all

<servlet>
<servlet-name>StartupServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>com.myco.StartupServlet</servlet-class>
<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>
Then, in your StartupServlet class (a subclass of HttpServlet), override the init() method and write your startup code there.

Re: WTO startup messages

In the alphaworks version, these messages are issued with descriptor code=0x4000 (Immediate Action Required). In the next version, they will be issued with descriptor code=0x0010 (Important information message).

Will this fix your problem?
dfowler4

Post by dfowler4 »

Re: WTO startup messages

Yes, I believe so. Concerning the release ... is the change of the descriptor code in the 1.2.4 release or the one to be released after that? (we are running 1.2.3 release).

Also can you tell me what route code is being used now and after the change to the descriptor code?

Thanks,
Dave
dfowler4

Post by dfowler4 »

Hello,

Re: Servlet autostart init method :

Thanks for the guidance. Works perfectly! I really do appreciate the help that you guys are willing to give and your patience with dealing with us newbie's.

Thanks again,
Dave
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

The changed descriptor codes are not in JZOS 1.24, but in the release that follows 1.2.4, which is actually not out quite yet.