Get return codes

General discussion on the JZOS batch launcher and toolkit
butters83

Get return codes

Post by butters83 »

I know there is a way to do it, but I am not sure of it. I have a java job that spawns some JCL and then cleans up some temp datasets. However, I need the JCL to return before the temp datasets can be cleaned up. Unless there is some simpler idea that I am missing out on, what I would like to do is be able to check for the job's return, and sit the clean up method on a condition variable that looks for that return.

How do I get to the return code for a job, or how do I know when a job has finished execution?
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

The latest release of the alphaworks JZOS toolkit (2.1.0) includes support for getting the status of a batch job via the tso "status" command.
butters83

Post by butters83 »

Do I simply run that command as a Runtime.exec?
butters83

Post by butters83 »

I can't find the new ibmjzos jar file anywhere. It's all well and good that the new and improved stuff exists, but how I can get it. I downloaded the toolkit, but I need the updated classes (like the new ZUtil) to sit on my eclipse build path.
butters83

Post by butters83 »

Really needing that new jar file. I currently cannot run any java on z/OS because I installed the newer version of the batch launcher, but do not have a newer matching version of the jar file. Is the jar file out there somewhere, or do I need to reinstall the older version, which does not have the new capabilities?
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

The JZOS alphaworks 2.1.0 release contains an installation guide in the "doc" subdirectory of the distribution zip file. In it, is explained how to upload the "jzos.pax" file to an MVS dataset and then explode it into HFS files.
butters83

Post by butters83 »

I figured out my issue, which was two-fold. I had to copy the ibmjzos.jar from a unix file over to a dataset, which I could then ftp to my PC for development on eclipse. After this I was still getting a warning about the batch launcher and jar file being at different levels. I then discovered that there was a change to the submission JCL, as I was basing my JCL to submit Java off of the file included with the JZOS_BatchSample eclipse project. There should be mention of this in the installation for those of us who made use of that example, and who develop on PC platforms, and therefore need the jar file to compile our code.