Co:Z SFTP Beta

Discussion of Co:Z sftp, a port of OpenSSH sftp for z/OS
dovetail
Site Admin

Co:Z SFTP Beta

Post by dovetail »

We are pleased to announce today that we are releasing version 1.0.9-Beta of the Co:Z Co-processing Toolkit for z/OS.

Major additions to this release include:

1) A new port of OpenSSH sftp-server for z/OS which adds support for MVS datasets, catalogs, partitioned datasets, etc. This module is designed to work with an existing sshd service, such as IBM's Ported Tools for z/OS - OpenSSH. Installations may configure sshd so that the new Co:Z sftp-server is only used for selected users.

Using Co:Z sftp-server, systems with OpenSSH or another sftp compatible package may transfer files directly to MVS datasets and
control all aspects of dataset formats, codepage conversion, and allocation. This release only includes the sftp-server, a future release will also include a new port of the z/OS sftp client.

2) Several new z/OS Unix shell commands

- catsearch -- invokes z/OS catalog search to produce a listing similar to ISPF 3.4
- pdsdir -- displays a PDS directory similar to ISPF
- zsym -- expands z/OS system symbols for use in shell scripts.

The Co:Z toolkit for z/OS is a free product. Commercial support agreements are available.

For more information, see: http://dovetail.com/docs/sftp/index.html
Last edited by dovetail on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidCrayford

Post by DavidCrayford »

Looks great! Is this OCO or is the source going to be made available?
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Like the rest of the Co:Z toolkit, it is currently available in binary form under the Apache 2 license:

http://dovetail.com/docs/coz/licenses.html#license_zos

Commercial support contracts for Co:Z (and Co:Z SFTP) are available - please contact info@dovetail.com for more information.
DavidCrayford

Post by DavidCrayford »

The source code for the Co:Z toolkit is currently open source. I have similar
shell commands for catalog searching and reading PDS directories and I was interested to compare the code. I tend to use assembler for the PDS stuff, using QSAM for reading PDS/E directories has a big performance hit for large data sets., which is what stdio does...
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

David,

The Co:Z Toolkit is open source (GPL license) only for distributed (non z/OS) systems. The client toolkit is not used/required for CO:Z SFTP, only dataset pipes, etc.

The Co:Z Toolkit for z/OS is distributed free under a binary Apache 2.0 license.

If you have specific question on how the code works, please ask in the Co:Z toolkit forum and we will try our best to answer.
DavidCrayford

Post by DavidCrayford »

No worries I get it. I was under the impression that I could take the source and build on a z/OS system. Obviously I was wrong... Thanks for the info.