Suggesting central defaults

Discussion of Co:Z sftp, a port of OpenSSH sftp for z/OS
Jeno

Suggesting central defaults

Post by Jeno »

Hello Kirk, thank you for this super improvement. Seems very promising, I hope we will also get the improved client soon.

What I would like to suggest is a centralised file for site defaults, e.g. /etc/ssh/sftp-server.rc that can then be overridden in indivudual profiles.

In my case, it is the site default ebcdic codepage (IBM-1165 is my site default) versus hard-coded iso8859-1. This is a bad default for us, because it means losing some characters between latin-2 and latin-1 codepages by default. In my case, I would like to centrally provide our corresponding iso8859-2 cp as site default. A similar problem could be expected for each site using non-latin-1 default ebcdic codepage.

The easy solution I have done is inserting

Code: Select all

. /etc/ssh/sftp-server.rc 
in front of

Code: Select all

. "$HOME/.ssh/sftp-server.rc"
Thank you in advance
Best regards Jenö

Thank you in advance
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Jeno,

This is a good suggestion, and it seems to me that you have a good solution. The sftp-server.sh file that we distribute is welcome to customization.

As an alternative, you may want to just dot in the installation default rc file from the user's rc file.

Kirk Wolf
Jeno

Post by Jeno »

Hi Kirk,

please let me allow to argue with your last comment. I am afraid that customising the sftp-server.sh script is not so ideal, since it is supposed to be overwritten by each upgrade.
So at least for common customisation that is similar on each site, I think it would be a generally better solution to dot an installation-wide default file (if present) in front of the user sftp-server.rc . I think, this would fit nicely in your concept.

I consider such site defaults would include to invoke the Co:Z version of sftp-server by default, even if no user $HOME/.ssh/sftp-server.rc script exists. And I also consider the default cp here ;) . Rather than customising the sftp-server.sh script, and forgetting it by the next update (and either oevrwritting it, or forgetting to incorporate the version changes in the local version), I would prefer to set local defaults in /etc/ssh.

Best regards Jenö
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Jeno,

The new 1.1.0 release includes your suggested addition to sftp-server.sh. Thanks for your suggestions.