Error starting Upgraded TOMCAT (6.0.18) on one z/OS system

Issues and Questions related to running Apache Tomcat on z/OS
twdunk

Error starting Upgraded TOMCAT (6.0.18) on one z/OS system

Post by twdunk »

I am in the process of upgrading TOMCAT on our z/OS systems.

I haven't gotten too far..... setup all parms and am trying to bring up manager.....

One of of my z/OS systems, it starts fine, although I do get the following warning:

WARNING: ÝSetPropertiesRule¨{Server/Service/Engine/Realm} Setting property 'resourceName' to 'UserDatabase' did not find a matching
property.

But.... when I use the exact same startup parms (and everything else) on a different system, I get the following error and it shuts down:

Nov 16, 2009 1:52:49 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap initClassLoaders
SEVERE: Class loader creation threw exception
Throwable occurred: java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: org/apache/catalina/startup/ClassLoaderFactory.IS_DIR

Any ideas ?

Terry
twdunk

Additional info.....

Post by twdunk »

When I compare, line by line, the STDOUT from the successul start (versus the bad one), I see the following lines when the output stops matching.....

class load: org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaProperties from: file:/opt/fitb/jakarta-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/bootstrap.jar
class load: org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory from: file:/opt/fitb/jakarta-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/bootstrap.jar
class load: org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoaderMBean from: file:/opt/fitb/jakarta-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/bootstrap
.jar class load: org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader from: file:/opt/fitb/jakarta-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/bootstrap.jar

Only the 1st two are present in the unsucessful run....... not the last 2.

Definitely weird....

Terry
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Are you somehow mixing in multiple versions of Tomcat in your classpaths? Are you using the T:Z Tomcat distribution?
twdunk

Post by twdunk »

No... I shouldn't be...... The HFS files, where the older version resides, is not even mounted...

If it works on one system (LPAR), it should work on another.

i am using the same parameters, HFS file, start command, etc...

Definitely weird, but so far I can only run on one system.

Terry
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Are you using our t:Z Tomcat distribution? Same SDK version on both LPARS?

If you would like, run with LOGLVL='+D' and email the complete job output to info@dovetail.com and we'll try to take a look.
twdunk

Post by twdunk »

Yes... using t:z .... and both LPARs should be the same.

Where do I put the LOGLVL='+D' ?

Terry
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

LOGLVL is a parameter in the sample TCPROC jcl that we ship with t:Z. It turns on the logging level for the JZOS batch launcher.
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Just to followup - this problem turned out to be an issue the the SDK 6 shared class cache. Clearing the cache and restarting solved the problem.
twdunk

Post by twdunk »

Yes..... thanks for the assist !

Terry