RDWInputRecordStream incorrout on RECFM=VBS

General discussion on the JZOS batch launcher and toolkit
JohnMcKown

RDWInputRecordStream incorrout on RECFM=VBS

Post by JohnMcKown »

I have no life, so I'm working on a project to be able to process SMF data on my PC. SMF data is often recorded as Variable Blocked Spanned. In this, a single logical record may be split into multiple physical records, with indicators in the RDW indicating if the record is complete, first of a set, middle of a set, or last in a set. If I download the SMF data without first converting it from VBS to VB, RDWInputRecordStream will return each physical record as an independent record. That is, each segment is returned separately with no indication that it is the first, middle, or last segment. This really messes up my processing.

I really feel that RDWInputRecordStream should either: (1) reconstruct the entire record from a segmented record; (2) return an indication that this is the complete, first, middle, or last segment in a logical record; or (3) throw an exception if it detects that the BB portion of the RDW is not 0x0000.

At the very least, it should be strongly documented that VBS is not supported in the documentation.

I've written my own equivalent which does support VBS. It's not really difficult, just fiddly.

--
John McKown
JohnMcKown

Post by JohnMcKown »

It really was easy. It was only 184 lines of code. And that includes some minor comments.