Sftp Jes sort

Discussion of Co:Z sftp, a port of OpenSSH sftp for z/OS
nge88

Sftp Jes sort

Post by nge88 »

Hi,

I was playing with sftp and Jes;

Is there a way to sort an output list (output of "ls" command) ?

It would be nice sorting a list by jobid, class, max-RC, like SDSF.

It also be great add (if possible) a timestamp (date/time) for each job listed.

Thanks a lot.

Matteo
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Matteo,

Thanks for your suggestions. These seem like good ideas to me. How do you find the JES status/output interface otherwise?

One difficulty that we have is that when you use the IBM "Extended Status" subsystem interface, there is *no* way to limit how many jobs you get back (and how much memory is used) by the filter that you specify. So it is not difficult to specify a filter that gives you all jobs on the system/spool. Even with an OWNER you can get a ton of jobs in some shops. Our current sorting is just to dump out (up to a limit) the jobs in the order returned from the Extended Status SSI.

BTW: if you want to help, please submit a requirement to IBM asking for a "returned job count limit" on Extended Status.

But we could have a "jes job list sort order" setting that could list the columns that we want to sort by. This would be a little more expensive, since we would have to traverse the entire returned list from Extended Status SSI and build a sorted list of pointers in the desired order before presenting.

But we will definitely put this on our wish list, although I don't see it happening in the near term since we have some higher priority stuff to do for the JES interface: to provide a complete, usable submit/output/status/cancel interface - similar to IBM FTP but better.
nge88

Post by nge88 »

Hi,

I found jes status/output interface very clear&clean , understandable for who work with mainframes and easy to use having a minimum experience with unix/ftp.

A little remark:

When you type "ls -la" command, displaying extended job status (jobname,jobid,owner..) there's no column name on the last column (with Return codes ).

BTW, I think it'll be usefull:

- add more filters on output;
Filter by status, class, RC (something like "ls /+jesstatus=OUTPUT" ,etc...)

- add a column "crDate" with creation date/time on "ls" output (if possible; i found it usefull for distinguish execution of certain jobs)

- access sysout also like files :

here's ad example of an "ls -la" output :

JOBNAME JOBID OWNER STATUS CLASS
SCNSMZIP J0000001 SCNSM OUTPUT A RC=0000
SCNSMZIP J0000002 SCNSM OUTPUT A RC=0000
SCNSMZIP J0000003 SCNSM OUTPUT A RC=0000

It would be great treat each jobid also like file, so I can type "get J000001 test.txt" and on local file system have a test.txt file that contain all spool files for a certain jobid concatenated in a single file(output as typing "s" near a jobid on SDSF).
I know now each jobid is treated like directory (and I'm ok with this); what I'm trying to propose it's an alternative way to access spool files.
Sorry for not clear explaination.

Finaly, I agree with you, it's better first deploy a submit/output/status/cancel interfarce (still dreaming for submitting a job by sftp and retrive its output on a remote system).

Thanks for attention and support; go ahead with your great job! :D
dovetail
Site Admin

Post by dovetail »

Our latest release of Co:Z SFTP addresses many of your suggestions.

For more information, see:

http://dovetail.com/docs/cozinstall/changes.html
http://dovetail.com/docs/sftp/using.html#server_jes